There are now a few more places to lounge along Oak Park Avenue in Tinley Park. But these sitting spots are not just ordinary benches.
The works of art now on display through September are part of the Village of Tinley Park's Benches on the Avenue project. They are ornate pieces of art crafted by both amateur and professional artists and this year, honor the theme of music.
The 2012 benches celebrate everything from rock 'n roll to classical genres and include salutes to some of the world's most famouse musicians, officials said.
Over the years, this public art program has become one of the village's most popular attractions, annually drawing thousands of residents and visitors to the downtown area.
For more information on the program or details on how to become a bench sponsor, check out the village's website.
Better yet, take a stroll down our quaint Oak Park Avenue.
Want to become a local government guru? Stick with Patch.
- Pay for Busing? State Could Drop Funding Mandate
- Cook County Suggests Towns Annex Unincorporated Areas
- Local Officials Pool Their Resources, Invite Drug Addicts
- Village Board OKs $41 Million Budget
- Curb Chat: Where Are Sidewalks Needed Most in Tinley Park?