READ: Stay on Top of the Frigid Conditions at Tinley Park Patch's Weather HQ
The primary shelter is the Tinley Park Senior Center, 17355 S. 68th Court, in the Public Safety Building, and the secondary shelter is the Tinley Park Police Department, 7850 W. 183rd St. Residents who want to use the shelters need to call 708-532-9111.
Tinley Park has been hit with more than 8 inches of snow since New Year's Eve, and village road crews have been working with state and county crews to keep streets plowed and cleared, the release stated. Residents can keep updated on the village's snow removal progress on the village's website.
READ: Will School Districts Cancel Classes Monday Because of the Extreme Cold?
Extreme Winter Weather Tips
- Walk carefully on snowy, icy walkways.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow. Overexertion can bring on a heart attack, a major cause of death in the winter.
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat.
- Watch for signs of frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes and the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately.
- Watch for signs of hypothermia. These include uncontrollable shivering, memory loss, disorientation, incoherence, slurred speech, drowsiness and apparent exhaustion. If symptoms of hypothermia are detected, get the victim to a warm location, remove wet clothing, warm the center of the body first and give warm, non-alcoholic beverages if the victim is conscious. Get medical help as soon as possible.
Other Winter Weather Stories on Tinley Park Patch: