.

Another Suspect in Ashford House Attack Arrested in Chicago

Tinley Park police confirmed that a sixth man suspected in the 2012 attack has been charged.

Jason R. Hammond | Credit: Tinley Park Police Department
Jason R. Hammond | Credit: Tinley Park Police Department
A sixth suspect from the 2012 Ashford House attack was arrested Thursday at his Chicago home, police said.

Jason R. Hammond, 28, of the 3300 block of South Morgan Street, is charged with armed violence, aggravated battery and mob action, police said.Hammond was set to appear before a Cook County judge to set bond, police said.

Eighteen masked people entered the Tinley Park restaurant on May 19, 2012, armed with weapons and attacked an alleged white nationalist group holding a meeting. Five people were arrested shortly after the attack. 

READ: Check Out Patch's Ashford House Attack Section for Complete Coverage

"We've been on this case very diligently since it happened," said Tinley Park Police Chief Steven Neubauer. Investigators are working to track down the remaining dozen suspects from the attack.

The Tinley Park 5, as they had become known since the brutal attack with hammers and metal batons, pleaded guilty to several felonies on Jan. 4. They originally had pleaded not guilty in a Cook County court. The five Indiana men, who range in age from 20 to 33, received between 42 months and six years in state prison. All had been in police custody since the May 19 assault. 

The men purported to have orchestrated the attack were claimed to be part of an anti-racist group who had descended on a group of they believed were white nationalists, according to Patch reports after the attack. One of the victims told Patch the claims about his group were misleading and that the purpose of their group was to help other "European people." 

The defendants who have already been convicted are John Tucker, 26; Cody Sutherlin, 24; Dylan Sutherlin, 20; Alex Stuck, 22; and Jason Sutherlin, 33. Three of the men are brothers. 

Another 12 suspects remain at large, police said.
Andre Buckley July 13, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Congratulations to our police. I had thought the investigation had stalled out, but obviously something brought it to life. Now hopefully they will "work" the suspect and get him to name the other dozen or so men and women involved in this brutal attack. Bring 'em in, get them charged, and (once their cases are adjudicated) move 'em on to the Big House (state penitentiary) where they can get started on the next phase of their lives. Their powerful devotion to diversity may help them adjust to these new lives in what they will find to be a very diverse environment. And when they eventually come out, the progressive community will doubtless come together to provide jobs for them in workplaces where violent ex-cons are welcome.
K Roll July 13, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Why do people who preach tolerance, acceptance, diversity, and peace and who also falsly claim to be liberal, usually are the most hateful ignorant and violent people out there
wyatt earp July 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM
What about the lane bryant murders???

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something