The Will County Board held its monthly meeting on February 21, 2013. Here are the highlights from that meeting:
- The Board recognized Black History month.
- A request by Boughton Materials, Inc. in Naperville to amend the local zoning map from A-1 to I-2 and/or for a special use permit to operate a concrete recycling facility was sounded defeated on a 25-0 vote. Boughton'srequest was fought by thousands of local residents in and around the area of the proposed facility. Boughton plans on challenging the Board's decision in the local courts.
- On the recommendation of the Finance Committee, the Board approved two intents to abate certain property taxes to local businesses.
- Several resolutions were passed authorizing approval of professional services agreements for local road projects. Monies obtained through the RTA tax funds were used to fund these projects.
- Two resolutions were passed, after amendment, establishing Will County's 2013 state and federal legislative agendas and priorities. Comments relating to the proposed third airport were withdrawn after some concerns were voiced that new board members were not given the opportunity to review the procedural history of the airport. So that portion of the legislative agenda was stricken and will be discussed on March 7 before the Committee of the Whole.
- Several appointments were approved by the Board, including that of Shawn T. Walsh, son of County Executive Larry Walsh. Shawn was appointed as Will County Regional Superintendent to fill the vacancy created when Jennifer Bertino-Tarrant resigned after being elected to the Illinois Legislature. Prior to his appointment Shaw was the Deputy Superintendent.
The next Will County Board meeting is Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 9:30 a.m. in the County Board Room, 2nd Floor of the Will County Office Building located at 302 N. Chicago Street, Joliet, Illinois. All Will County residents are invited to attend.