READ: Police Want to Shed Light on Daytime Burglaries
Tinley Park police issued an alert to residents Tuesday, Jan. 7, about a series of burglaries throughout the village since Jan. 1. According to police reports, the break-ins occurred in the following areas:
- the 9000 block of Basswood Drive on Jan. 3
- the 9000 block of Timberwood Lane on Jan. 3
- the 8100 block of Mallow Drive on Jan. 6
- the 6500 block of 177th Street on Jan. 6
Police also are investigating an attempted burglary Jan. 1, in the 8600 block of Carriage Lane.
Jewelry and electronics were common items stolen, and all except one of the homes had a safe that was either stolen or ransacked, police reports state.
According to the reports, some of the items stolen include:
- $50,000 worth of jewelry taken from a safe
- $1,800 to $2,000 in collectible U.S. currency dating back to the 1930s
- a $500 tennis bracelet
- six wristwatches worth about $1,000 each
- a 40-caliber handgun that was in a safe that was stolen
Pillow cases also were stolen from two homes.
Investigators say the following vehicles might have been used in the burglaries:
- a white box truck
- a silver pick-up truck with a ladder sticking out from the bed
- a dark-colored Toyota Corolla
MAP KEY: The map with this article shows the areas where the burglaries occurred. The yellow marker indicates an attempted burglary. The red triangle marker indicates a burglary.