A Michigan man is facing a federal detention hearing today after he was arrested late last week and charged in connection with the sex trafficking of two minors at a Tinley Park hotel.
Federal law enforcement officials announced today the Friday morning arrest of Fabriel Delaney, 25, of Kalamazoo, Mich., who was taken into custody outside of a local hotel.
They say that on July 21, he drove 17- and 16-year-old Michigan girls there, "expecting to take them to a bachelor party where they would engage in sexual activity with 10 to 12 men and charge between $150 and $300 per customer for various sex acts," according to a news release from the Northern Illinois District of the U.S. Department of Justice. A third victim, who was older than 18, was also in tow, the affidavit said.
The charges allege that Delaney believed he was taking the two girls and third woman to have sex at the supposed party, which, in fact, was a sting operation designed to arrest him. The arrest came 10 months after the investigation started.
At that time, Illinois State Police pulled over Delaney in Will County where they said he was driving with three girls, including the now 17-year-old, the release said.
"... Delaney was sex-trafficking Victim 1, who was then 16 and later turned 17, at a hotel in the Joliet area," it said.
Agents said he used Internet websites to advertise the prostitution.
"Delaney typically met customers in a hotel parking lot to ensure they were not undercover police before sending them to Victim 1's hotel room and he received a portion of the money she was paid," the news release said.
The second minor told Federal Bureau of Investigation agents that she met Delaney— he is also known as "Face," according to court documents—earlier this month. She has since gone on 20 to 24 calls for commercial sex, providing him with half the profit, police said.
He has been charged with taking a minor across state lines for prostitution, according to a complaint filed in U.S. District Court. If convicted, the charge carries a mandatory minimum penalty of 10 years and a maximum of life in prison.
He appeared Friday in front of U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeffrey Cole in Chicago and was scheduled to do so again this morning for a bond hearing.
Several departments helped with the investigation including the Cook County Sheriff's Office, Illinois State Police and Chicago Office of the FBI.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something