A Harvey woman who was arrested for stealing almost $350 in Nike shoes and other merchandise from Kohl's on Sept. 8 was caught wearing a pair of underwear she also had lifted, according to Tinley Park Police reports.
Brenda Louise Scott, 50, of the 15500 block of South Center Street in Harvey, was charged with felony retail theft. She is still being held at Will County Jail on $25,000 bond, and her court date for this case is Oct. 1 in Joliet.
READ: Sentencing for Painted Pastures Owner Delayed; Case's Prosecutor Accused of Biting Man
At around 8 p.m. on Sept. 8, a Kohl's employee observed on video surveillance Scott taking several pairs of Nike shoes out of their boxes and putting them in a shopping cart, the report stated. Scott then put the empty boxes back on the shelf and walked to the intimates section of the store and took several pairs of underwear off the shelves, the report continued.
Scott went in to a fitting room, then exited and replaced some of the underwear back on the shelf, according to the report. The store's security sensors went off, however, when Scott tried to leave the building, the report said. The Kohl's employee who had been watching Scott on video stopped her and brought her to the security office. The employee found these items in Scott's purse:
- Nike women’s running shoes, valued at $69.99
- Nike women’s trail shoes, valued at $72.99
- Nike Women’s running shoes, valued at $59.97
- Nike Kids athletic shoes, valued at $16.80
- Nike Men’s running shoe, valued at $74.99
- MS sweater coat, valued at $38.40
- Towels, valued at $6.99
Police had been called in ahead of time, and the responding officer asked for a female office to the scene to search Scott, the report said. During the search, the female officer found that the underwear Scott was currently wearing still had a security sensor attached to it, the report stated. Scott said she wet herself before coming to the store and was embarrassed to say something.
READ: Guard Rewarded With Throat Punch From Guy He Saved From Beating
The Kohl's employee told police the Candies brand underwear were valued at $5.99, and the store didn’t want the underwear returned. The total amount of merchandise Scott had taken was valued at $346.12.
A search of Will County Sheriff's Office and circuit records also found that Scott was arrested Aug. 1 by Frankfort Police and charged with burglary, retail theft and possession of a controlled substance. Her pretrial court date for this incident is Wednesday, Sept. 26.
Check Out Patch's Police & Fire Section for More Crime Stories:
- Court Watch: Teen Gets Public Defender in Granat Murder Case
- Orland Man Pleads Guilty to Carjacking of Elderly Tinley Woman
- Police Still Investigating Twin Daylight Home Burglaries in Tinley Terrace
Two Ways to Stay Connected to Tinley Park Patch:
- Subscribe to our newsletters to have headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox.
- "Like" our Facebook page for updates throughout the day