Village officials recently for those property owners who aren't adequately maintaining their lawns.
And some have already had to ante up, they said. The weed ordinance takes effect when grass or weeds grow taller than 8 inches on a commercial or residential property, according to village documents.
Officials have said they hoped upping the fines to $250 for first-time offenders would discourage landscaping negligence. The second and third fees are $500 and $750, respectively.
The motion to boost fines was approved April 17 by the village board. Since then, the following actions had been taken as of May 9:
- Officials issued 45 violations.
- There have been 41 follow-up inspections.
- A total of 19 ordinance violators are in compliance.
- Nine of the properties in violation have been deemed foreclosures.
- Two of the properties in violation have been discovered vacant.
- Village staff members notified officials first-hand about four of all the non-compliant property owners.
Get more local government news: