The Cook County Forest Preserve District will begin selling 2012 picnic permits online and in person Jan. 3. The district encourages planners to reserve desired dates and locations early.
Last year, out of the total 8,122 permits sold, 1,044 were issued on the first day. More than a million people participated in picnics last year, according to the district.
Permits can be obtained through its website starting at 8 a.m. on Jan. 3.
Permits also can be purchased at the , on Tuesday, Jan. 3, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. After Tuesday, the regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Keep in mind as you plan:
- The most popular picnic groves last year were Bunker Hill, Busse Woods, Dan Ryan and Schiller Woods.
- Picnic permits are required for groups of 25 or more.
- Two picnic permits per person or organization are allowed per year.
- Permit prices vary based on the size of the group and the amenities available at the grove.
- Permits for groups larger than 399 must be purchased in person at the General Headquarters.