High wind gusts caused by Hurricane Sandy have put Tinley Park and the rest of the area under a wind advisory from the National Weather Service until 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 30.
Gusts could reach 60 mph, with sustained wind speeds around 35 mph, according to the weather agency. The strongest winds will be along the lakeshore in Chicago.
In an email sent to residents, the Tinley Park Emergency Management Agency also warned residents that they should take precautions during the advisory, securing Halloween decorations and other outdoor items they aren't blown away by gusts and cause damage or injury.
Drivers along east-west highways, such as I-80, should also be careful, especially if they have high vehicles, the email stated.
BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH: Patch is honoring breast cancer awareness with special coverage throughout the month of October. Please take a moment to learn more about what our community offers and share information with a loved one.
- Maggie Daley Inspired Women Living With Breast Cancer
- Outer Beauty Tips Lead to Inner Strength for Women with Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer in Young Women: Resources and Statistics in the Southland
- Sisterhood of South Suburban Breast Cancer Survivors: Share Your Story
- Healthy Living Can Prevent Breast Cancer: Area Resources
- Think Pink: Breast Cancer Awareness Events in the Area
- Where to Get a Breast Exam in the Southland
Two Ways to Stay Connected to Tinley Park Patch:
- Subscribe to our newsletters to have headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox.
- "Like" our Facebook page for updates throughout the day.