What's Closed on MLK Day?
Martin Luther King Day, which is Monday, Jan. 20, is a federal holiday. While most retail stores and restaurants will be open, some government and public services will be closed for the holiday. Here's a look at what will be closed in Tinley Park. Remember: Call ahead if you want to make sure you're not wasting a trip.
- Village Offices: Village Hall will be closed.
- U.S. Postal Service: No delivery, and the post office will be closed.
- Schools: The districts serving Tinley Park will be closed.
- Bremen, Frankfort and Orland Township Offices: These offices will be closed.
- Banks: Most banks in the village will be closed. However, check with your local branch to be sure.
Also This Week …
MONDAY, JAN. 20
- ALDI Job Fair: The supermarket chain will be a job fair from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Tinley Park Convention Center. Check out Patch's story for more details.
- Park Picnic Permits: The Tinley Park-Park District will be giving out lottery numbers for 2014 permits beginning at 9 a.m. at the Tony Bettenhausen Recreation Center. Go to the district's website for more details.
- Lights! Camera! Action!: The Tinley Park Public Library will let kids from grade 6 to 12 shoot and edit their own scenes using the library's iPads at 7 p.m.
- Lake Michigan's Southern Shore—A Photographic Journey: Environmental photographer Tom Gill will talk about the history and characteristics of the region and give photography tips at 7 p.m. at the Tinley Park Public Library.
TUESDAY, JAN. 21
Village Board: The trustees meet at 8 p.m. at the Village Hall. A discussion of whether to install a traffic light at 159th Street and 71st Court. Check out the village's website to look at the full agenda.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 22
Starting a Business Seminar: The Village of Tinley Park will be holding a two-hour workshop on personal, financial and legal parts of starting a business from 9 to 11:30 a.m. at the Kallsen Center at Village Hall. Go to the village website for more information.
THURSDAY, JAN. 23
- Movies & Books: The Tinley Park Public Library's program discussing books and their movie adaptations will feature F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby at 7:30 p.m. Go to the library's website for more information.
- Open Mic With Hall Haines: The musical night is from 8 to 11 p.m. at Ed & Joe's Pizza. Go to the restaurant's website for details.
FRIDAY, JAN. 24
Hall Haines and Mike O'Meara: The duo will play Americana, folk and blues music from 8:30 to 11:30 p.m. at Ed & Joe's Pizza. Go to the restaurant's website for details.
Crawford's Daughter: The band will play at J.W. Hollstein's Saloon. Go to the bar's website for details.
2014 United Gymnastics Academy Invitational: Local gymnasts compete in this three-day event at the Tinley Park Convention Center. Go to the organization's website for more details.
Check out Tinley Park Patch's Events Calendar to find out what else is going on and to add your own activities to the mix.