Backpacks Can Get a Blessing Sunday at St. George Church
St. George Church will celebrate the start of the new school year during a special Mass for students Sunday, Aug. 18. The blessings will be done after the 11:30 a.m. service.
When: 12:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 18
Where: St. George Catholic Church, 6700 W. 176th St.
More Info: Go to the Events Calendar.
What Else to Watch for This Weekend
FRIDAY, AUG. 16
Bittersweet at JW Hollstein's: This band will perform a mix of classic rock, dance and pop music mash-ups at the bar, 17358 Oak Park Ave. Find out more details.
SATURDAY, AUG. 17
- Get Your Car and Dog Washed: PAWS of Tinley Park is holding a car and dog washing event at Boston's Gourmet Pizza in Brookside Marketplace from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be raffles and prizes at the event, too. Find out more details.
- Farmers Market: The seasonal event runs from 7 a.m. to noon at Zabrocki Plaza downtown. Check out photos of the market earlier this summer.
- Back to School Bash: This event at the Christian Life Center, 6363 W. 183rd St., will feature food, inflatables, games and pony rides. Free backpacks will be given to the first 300 in attendance. The bash runs from noon to 4 p.m. Find out more details.
- Johnny & Coax and Friends at JW Hollsteins: This band will perform a mix of dance music and pop songs in the vein of Justin Timberlake Pearl Jam and even Elvis. Find out more details.
- Oh, Just Bury Me in the Back Yard: The Tinley Park Public Library will host an encore presentation on end-of-life issues by inspirational speaker and writer Loretta Downs. The presentation is at 2 p.m., with an additional 30-minute mini-workshop about the Five Wishes Advanced Healthcare Directive at 3 p.m. Find out more details.
- Final Concerts in the Park for the Season: The Tinley Park-Park District closes out its summer concert series with the Art Alive! Jazz Band at 6 p.m. at the Tony Bettenhausen Recreation Center, 8125 W. 171st St. Find out more details.
Check out Tinley Park Patch's Events Calendar to find out what else is going on and to add your own activities to the mix.
Want to catch a movie? Check out Tinley Park Patch's Movies Friday, which features films and showtimes in the area.