Friday, April 5, 2013
James Sylvester, 21, has been missing since last week. Rescue crews found him, along with a Honda Civic, in a Cook County forest preserve lake.
Updated 7:56 p.m. April 5 PALOS, IL -- A body pulled from a Palos Heights lake Friday has been confirmed as missing Crestwood man James Sylvester, according to the Cook County Sheriff's office. Sylvester had been missing since March 27, police said. His body was found along with a Honda Civic in Arrowhead Lake, located near 135th Street and Harlem Avenue in Cook County forest preserve land. The 21-year-old college student from Crestwood was distraught over a relationship, police said. His last communication was a text message to friends and ex-girlfriend saying, "Tell everyone I'm sorry." Hundreds of volunteers had turned out to help search for Sylvester. Police told the family that a “credible source” indicated that Sylvester had been …
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Fire crews rushed out to a Murphy Circle townhome early Tuesday morning to fight the second fire there since Friday night.
Tinley Park firefighters were called early Tuesday to a local home for the second fire there in a four-day time frame. Crews were dispatched around 5 a.m. to 18245 Murphy Circle, where a futon mattress in a garage was engulfed in flames. A fire ignited at the same townhouse on Friday evening after a resident had been using a grill just outside the garage, Tinley Fire Chief Ken Dunn said. READ: Weekend Grilling Sparks Townhouse Fire "The relief valve on the propane tank let loose and then it just became a blow torch," Dunn said, of the original fire. " … A propane cylinder with the liquid propane in it that we all use for grilling can be dangerous. ... Propane, when it gets vented into the air like that, it expands 270 times. There was a …
Monday, August 13, 2012
No one was injured Friday night in a blaze started after a resident was grilling on the patio.
A fire ignited over the weekend in a townhome garage near where authorities say someone was grilling on an outdoor patio. Tinley Park firefighters were called at 8:13 p.m. Friday, Aug. 10, to the four-unit townhouse at 18245 Murphy Circle in Tinley Park. The ranch-style building has two units on each side, according to Tinley Fire Chief Ken Dunn. Sign up to receive a free, daily e-newsletter from Tinley Park Patch. The fire started outside on a patio where a resident had been grilling, Dunn said, and then spread to the garage. Crews were able to extinguish the flames in about 20 minutes and prevent them from reaching the townhome's units. A witness said firefighters arrived quickly and were "very helpful in calming all the neighbors' fears…
Friday, July 6, 2012
One area firefighter was treated during a Fourth of July fire for heat-related injuries. Authorities have not yet determined a cause for the blaze, which ignited a town home in Orland Park's Silverlake Village.
Firefighters from multiple area departments helped battle an hourlong three-alarm blaze Wednesday afternoon in a four-unit town home that officials said would have been easier to get under control if not for the extreme heat and drought conditions. Orland Park Fire Protection District and Tinley Park firefighters responded to a home at 15035 Mayo Dr. in Orland around 3:30 p.m. on the Fourth of July. The house was involved in "heavy fire" by the time authorities got on scene, said Chief Ken Brucki. Sign up for Tinley Park Patch breaking news alerts. There was one woman in the home, and firefighters were able to safely rescue to her, Brucki said. One Orland Park firefighter was treated for a heat-related injury at the scene and later taken …
Thursday, October 13, 2011
Someone set an outdoor toilet ablaze in Tinley Park last week. Firefighters aren't investigating, according to the police report.
Firefighters squelched an engulfed portable toilet last week that was lighting up the sky on Surry Drive in Tinley Park. When Tinley Park police got to Richard M. Gory Park, near 163rd Street and Surrey Drive around 9 p.m. Oct. 6, they said three adult teens were running toward them to tell them the potty was on fire. "All three subjects advised that they had arrived at the park around 8:30 p.m. and smelled smoke, but thought that someone in the area was having a bonfire," the report said. They didn't see anyone around the porta-potty, the three men said, and about 30 minutes later, they saw a flash of light. The potty was engulfed in flames. Crews had it extinguished within minutes, according to the report. They said it appeared the …
Monday, September 26, 2011
Firefighters from across the nation tested their mettle on a grueling challenge course Saturday.
More than 150 brave men and women from across the country convened in Tinley Park on Saturday put their stamina, strength and decision making skills to the test. The Tinley Park Convention Center played host during the weekend to the Firefighter Challenge & Expo, which is known as, "the toughest two minutes in sports." That moniker is apt, as a significant number of competitors were unable to finish the course. Surrounding the competition were both local and national fire awareness charities, including a fire truck from New York that was dedicated to the victims of 9/11. Like us on Facebook
Thursday, September 22, 2011
Festivals, recreational and performing arts events happening this weekend, Sept. 22 - 25, in the Orland, Palos, Tinley and Oak Forest area.
Does your social life see as much action as that sweater in the storage bin under your bed? Lucky for you, it's fall, and Patch is here! So put on that sweater, grab some hot apple cider and get ready to walk in some crunchy leaves on your way to Patch's best bets for the weekend. St. Michael Fall Fest 2011 September 22 - 25| St. Michael School Opening night of the Fall Fest (September 22) is Polish night, including polka music and traditional Polish food such as dumplings, pierogis and sausages. Each day offers different themes and events. Check out the schedule for details. 69th Annual Fall Festival at The Center September 24, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. | Children's Farm at The Center Celebrate fall at the Center. Visit the farmer's market featuring…
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Tinley police and firefighters also find elevator shafts filled with water.
Tinley Park firefighters were called over the weekend to a potential blaze at a local hotel that was not actually a fire, but a flood. Firefighters responded around 10:30 p.m. Saturday to the Holiday Inn, 18501 Convention Center Dr. in Tinley Park, for an active fire alarm. When they arrived, no fire was found but three rooms on the third floor were flooded after a sprinkler in their vicinity went off, according to the police report. Tinley Park Police said they were unable to connect anyone staying in those rooms to setting off the fire alarm. "It is unknown at this time if the sprinkler head was tampered with or if it just failed," the report said. Both elevators were out of service because the bottom of the shafts were filled with water…
Thursday, September 15, 2011
Tinley Park firefighters were called to their second fire of the week today.
Tinley Park firefighters were called early Thursday morning to their second blaze this week after a police officer on patrol saw smoke coming from a home on Parkside Drive. The one-story, white frame house at 6350 Parkside was vacant when firefighters arrived around 12:25 a.m., Tinley Park Fire Chief Ken Dunn said. "No one was living there at the time," he said. "The house is under construction. It's a remodel." Yellow police tape cordoned off the property around 8 a.m. and boards shuttered one of the home's corner windows, as well as a prominent front window. Black soot highlighted portions of the siding, mostly near the roof. Dunn said he wasn't certain how long it took crews to get the fire under control. "It was a pretty good fire," he…
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
A fire in the 17200 block of 87th Court Tuesday caused significant damage to a two-story home, officials said.
A blaze ignited in a Tinley Park home Tuesday while a resident was lying down for a nap. At 2:41 p.m., his neighbors were the ones to call firefighters to the two-story home at 17208 87th Court after they saw smoke billowing from the garage, Tinley Park Fire Chief Ken Dunn said. The napping man awoke moments later to the sound of his two dogs barking. "They didn't want to become hotdogs," Dunn said, noting that there were no injuries to the resident, pets or firefighters. " … We were able to search the house … and were told the occupant had narrowly gotten out." The fire started in the home's attached garage and worked its way up to the second floor, he said, adding that its origin remains under investigation. "There's some pretty …